Friday, October 26, 2007

Living Out Christianity at the Polls

As we are in the midst of a very interesting political season, I am posting my first blog entry about voting.

The first thing a Christian can do when contemplating who to vote for is to pray. God gives wisdom to those who ask for it. (James 1:5) Also, we should pray about our government and leaders.

Christians should, secondly, research each candidate's relationship with God. Does he/her seek God's face? Is there boldness in this pursuit of God? I say this because a ungodly or godless person cannot possibly lead a nation along a godly path. The most God-seeking candidate I have found is Mike Huckabee. Check out his website and see what I mean. The first issue on the list of issues is Faith and Politics. Here is a quote from that section, "My faith is my life - it defines me. My faith doesn't influence my decisions, it drives them."

Think about the stories of the Old Testament. When Israel had a godly leader, the nation prospered. Remember Hezekiah and Josiah. (If you don't, Hezekiah's story begins about 2 Kings 18 and Josiah's story begins about 2 Kings 22) Many Christians think that we can't apply these stories to today because we are a republic, and they were a theocracy/monarchy. I believe that countries today can seek the LORD as a general attitude. I am not saying the government should force belief on people. What I am saying is that it makes a difference who the leader is.

The third thing that Christians should do is vote. Faith without action is dead. If you believe that God can use Mike Huckabee to change this country for good, then vote that way. Don't hold your breath and vote for "the lesser of two evils". Take a stand with the God-seeking candidate, Mike Huckabee.

No comments: