Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Re-thinking Pro-family

In my previous post about Gov. Palin, I said that I would vote for her if she were running for President.


Well, I have been thinking about that a lot since then. Then yesterday I read an article by Scott at Grace Alone that really solidified things for me. If Gov. Palin were my friend, I would have urged her not to be Mayor, Governor, or VP candidate. Why? Not because she is a woman, but because she is giving up the highest calling God gives women: being wives and mothers. I have posted before about how it is a mother's duty and privilege to take care of her children and not ditch them with daycares or nannies. (To read them you can use the "Search This Blog" function near the bottom of the page.) No career (even an important one) is worth sacrificing your children. (If you disagree that daycare is sacrificing your children, I suggest you visit www.daycaresdontcare.org. The evidence is staggering.) So I cannot be excited about Palin sacrificing her family for her career.

Scott's post linked to one by Voddie Baucham that got me thinking even more. What would a true pro-family candidacy look like? Is being pro-life and for traditional marriage enough? To me, a pro-family candidate would look something like this:

1. Would encourage women to stay home with their children.
2. Would encourage parents to take responsibility for the education of their children. The ideal candidate would acknowledge parent's right to homeschool or private school
3. Would recognize parent's rights to raise children according to their values and faith as a fundamental right.
4. Would encourage fathers to take financial and spiritual responsibility for their families.
5. Would endorse only abstinence-based sex education for unmarried teens.
6. Would defend traditional marriage as between a man and a woman.
7. Would look for ways to overturn "no fault" divorce laws as these encourage fragmented families.
8. Would encourage the overturning of grandparents "rights" laws.
9. Would start a national propaganda campaign to promote the idea that ALL children are blessings.


There are probably more that I could add if I thought about it longer. The point is that being "pro-family" should mean a lot more than just anti-abortion and against homosexual "marriage".

No comments: