Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Refuge by Marvelle Zollars

I received this book as a gift from Mrs. Zollars for helping her in a painting class she teaches.  When she gave it to me, I inwardly cringed.  What if I didn't like it?  I didn't want to hurt her feelings.  I decided to read on chapter and see how it went.  As it turns out, I was hooked from the beginning. 

The first thing I loved about this book is the great mix of characters and how the story shows God weaving them together to save the lives of babies at risk of abortion.  The characters range from a business executive to a has been musician to a rebellious socialite to a Native American journalist.  The way they are intertwined seems entirely natural and is wonderfully inspiring. 

The second thing that I really enjoyed was the way Mrs. Zollars tackled the tricky issues like mother's who risk their lives so that their babies can be born and babies born from rape instead of love.  She also looks at homelessness, abused women, and other difficult issues in a realistic and loving way. 

This glorious story is Mrs. Zollars debut novel.  I really hope that she is published again.  I recommend this book very highly.

No comments: