Sunday, February 3, 2008

Revolutionary Parenting Chapter 2

I have been a slacker about writing about the next chapter of my George Barna book Revolutionary Parenting. Chapter 2 talks about how most of the parents that the Barna Group interviewed that raised spiritual champions were their kids spiritual coaches. The thing I liked most about this chapter was that it offered hope to parents that don't consider themselves spiritual champions.

Successful coaches are an interesting and varied lot. Some who have reached the upper echelon of success in the sports world are mormer champions--but most of them are not. All of them, though, understand what it takes to become a champion; all of them are committed to helping their proteges ascend to the highest levels of performance; and all of them energetically reinforce championship-caliber efforts.

He goes on to say that the coach is resposible for seeing where the coached is going. A coach with no goals is a silly notion.

My prayer is that God will continually improve my ability to coach my children and that I will remember that the main goal is for them and me to conform to the likeness of his son.