Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rising Star Embraces Abstinence

I found this article from LifSiteNews encouraging. It talks about a young star, Selena Gomez, who has embraced abstinence until marriage. Here are a couple of paragraphs from it.

In donning the purity ring, Gomez joins an increasing number of youth-stars who are reacting against the pervasive promiscuity of the entertainment industry and embracing pre-marital chastity. Others who have made public their intentions to remain chaste until marriage include Jordin Sparks, the American Idol winner, and the members of the pop group, the Jonas brothers.

However, in an interview on the issue with momlogic.com, Gomez denied that she was simply jumping on the bandwagon. "I've had my ring ever since I was 12 years old," she said. "But for me it's not something I want to go around saying 'Hey, look what I have.' It's a promise that I made to myself and to God. I think sometimes people misinterpret that and think it's just a trend and everyone's getting one."

No comments: