Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Celebration of Life

Today my family and I went to the celebration feast of a friend who has recovered from cancer. It was a great meal at Carraba's for about 50 of her friends and family. It was her way of praising God and thanking her friends and family for holding her up in prayer. We had a really great time.

The whole thing reminded me of Deuteronomy 14:26. It is in the instruction about the tithes.

Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. NIV

It made me wonder what most Christians would think if this lady had used part of her tithe to throw this party. I doubt that she did. But let's suppose she had. Would you consider it a "proper" use of tithes?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think that's an awesome way to use a tithe! Celebrating God's goodness and displaying His glory and love to friends and family with a huge thank-you feast seems really biblical. How cool!
And thanks so much for the prayers. :)

Frances Clements said...

I thought it was cool too.

I am glad to pray for your family. I hope you find out what is going on with your daughter's eyes.