Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Parental Rights in the State of Texas

Thanks to JR at A Keyboard and a .45 I have been alerted to a new parenting law introduced in Texas by Texas Rep. Alonzo that makes me cringe. The proposed law talks of ensuring that children are a priority and a good education, etc. Here are the things that popped out at me.

From Article 1-
The child has a right to live in a home where "the child is treated with respect". I agree with this, but I can see the government (or judges) twisting this to: It is disrespectful to the child to swat, ground from the prom, limit friendship choices, etc.

It even specifies later that "any form of discipline that humiliates or demeans the child" would be banned. I can see this being almost anything but time outs.

This phrase "access to a quality education" opens the door to homeschool regulation.

This one "receive appropriate medical, dental, vision, and mental health services" bodes of more regulation of people who oppose vaccinations or medical birth or Western medicine all together.

Article Two largely deals with "Family Education Centers". Somehow I can't really imagine that these will be based on God-centered biblical parenting. One of the things new parents are supposed to learn is to "develop short- and long-term family goals". Now I can only imagine that these would be more in line with the State's goals and less in line with God's goals.

Needless to say, I will do my part in fighting this rubbish. Parents are responsible for the character molding, health, education, and training of their children. The State needs to get the c*** out. (The stars are for OneMom's benefit.)

No comments: