Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Stimulus

I called my Congresswoman, Kay Granger, to ask her to not vote for this massive "stimulus" quickly becoming pork-a-rama bill. I was told by her staff to read this article in the Star Telegram. I found that not only does Kay Granger oppose the bill in its current form, but so do her Tarrant County colleagues. (That makes sense, since this is one of the most Republican areas of the country.)

The very beginning of the article caught my eye. Here is the quote:

While Texas is expected to get an estimated $25 billion to $30 billion of the massive $825 billion economic stimulus package, Tarrant County’s Republican congressional delegation says the combination of public works spending, more dollars for federal programs and tax cuts is too high a price to pay. (I added the bold.)

Now according to this website the population of Texas is about 21 million. So that means (if my math is right) that Texas is expected to receive about $1200 for every man, woman, and child in the state. About $4,800 for my family of 4.

I think if every American were actually given that much money they would waste it (generally speaking) faster than the government. I think that the root of this whole economic problem is that we the people have forgotten that federal money is all ours to begin with. We look at handouts as "free" money. We also have no concept of economics. We have no sense of stewardship before God. Our government is a reflection of ourselves.

No comments: