Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Ifs

One of the hardest things in life is to not be plagued by the what ifs in it. Recently my son's bird, Nibbler, was hurt by his dog, Shadow. Yesterday Nibbler died from the stress of that incident. When he died, my son and I were both plagued with what ifs. What if we hadn't clipped his flight feathers? What if we had been quicker to get there when we heard squawking? What if we had locked the cage doors? (Nibbler had learned to open the doors and had gotten out.) Anyway, you get the idea.

I think that God wants us to look back at our mistakes or at problems honestly. I think he wants us to grow and learn through them. Not get stuck on the what ifs.

Today we will be having a small funeral for Nibbler so that the kids can say, "Goodbye." Then we will be moving on with a new bird.

No comments: