Monday, July 28, 2008

Candidates

I thought I would give a video summary of various candidates with why I can (or more likely cannot) vote for them.

We will start with McCain. You can see videos about his views on embryonic stem cell research and gay marriage on a previous post. But my reasons for not voting for him go deeper than that. John McCain is just like Bill Clinton; he will say whatever he thinks will go over best with the crowd he is in front of. And let's not forget what a gun-grabber he is.



Now on to Obama. . . We have infanticide

and blatant disregard for the 2nd Amendment.

Obama's video resume could continue, but I think I will leave it at that.

Then there is the Libertarian, Bob Barr. His party is pro-abortion, but he is pro-life.

In Bob Barr's case it is not him so much as his party I can't abide.

My choice for President is Chuck Baldwin.

Now is he every thing I would want in a candidate? No. I disagree with him on some things like the war in Iraq. But he is the best candidate left.

Some people ask me, "Don't you feel like you're wasting your vote?" My answer is it is better to waste a vote than bow to pragmatism over principle. The next question is, "What if all of this third party voting gets Barak Obama into office?" I am only responsible for my vote. If God hands us over to an oppressor, it won't be the first time he has lovingly disciplined a nation. A final question is, "What about judges?" I don't trust McCain to pick any better judges. Even Ronald Reagan wasn't a five-star judge picker so I won't hold out hope that McCain is.

6 comments:

WKen said...

I like Chuck. He's a good choice.

I don't buy the argument, either, that we will give the election to Obama if we don't get behind McCain. The Republican Party isn't entitled to my vote just because I'm a Christian, even though they seem to think that.

If they offer up terrible candidates, then they should expect me to vote against them.

Frances Clements said...

Hello Wickle,
It is an honor to have you in my neck of the internet. If I remember correctly, you are voting for Average Joe? It seems that all of my favorite Huckabee bloggers are going their separate ways in November. Kevin is for Barr, you are for Average Joe, Matt at Search for Freedom is for McCain, and One Mom is undecided. I think that shows what a uniter Huckabee could have been had the people picked him.

Scott said...

You are right about Huckabee having the power to unite more conservative Christians. It's offensive that the Republican party just assumes we will support McCain just to oppose Obama. I like the comment that you made regarding the accountability for your vote. I'm still really struggling, but at this point just can't bring myself to vote for McCain.

Frances Clements said...

Scott,
I am glad you are struggling (as opposed to just assuming you have no choice or just not voting).

What you said reminds me of my mother. She has never voted anything but Rep. This year she will vote third party. She just can't bring herself to do it.

I voted for the "lesser of two evils" with Bob Dole. I have changed my mindset since. I am voting for somebody. I refuse to just vote against someone who might be a little (or even a lot) worse.

WKen said...

Yes, I'm for Joe Schriner. A bit more moderate (maybe liberal) on some areas, but I'm okay with him. I think you've summed up the Huckabee phenomenon pretty well. He really had me excited.

I guess I was a bit of an idealist when I hit 18. I promised myself that I would never vote for a party, only for someone I actually wanted. I've put up with a lot of being told that I'm naive ... and I've never voted for a winning candidate.

Ah, well ... I think that in the near future, the Constitution Party might well be the way to go. I did vote for Howard Phillips in 1992 and 1996.

Anonymous said...

Candidate-watchers should Google "Open Letter to the Noah/Lot Gang" and "Dangerous Radicals of the Religious Right" before they declare: "This is my final answer!"

BTW, one site just posted the following striking slogan:
"Unborn children should have the right to keep and bear arms - and legs and ears and eyes etc.!"

Karina (because I care)