Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Landscape Architecture Story

OK. Here is my liberal landscape architect story. My boss was a big advocate for alternate transportation and many of our jobs dealt with pedestrian access, bike paths, the light rail, etc. When I started working there she noticed that my degree is from Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. She asked me what the main economic sectors were for Lubbock. I told her farming and oil. At the mention of oil, she shuddered and said something along the lines of, "Ew, oil," as though the mention of it might get her dirty. She went on to tell me that she was largely against the drilling for oil.

Now like a good liberal, this didn't change how she lived at all. She drove a rather large SUV even though she had a 2 person (and 2 dog) family.

In fact, she had a prejudice against people who lived more fuel efficient lives. At the time my husband and I shared one car. He dropped me off at work and picked me up or vice versa. This was unacceptable to my boss. She gave me an 18 month time limit to get another car. (My first boss, a much more conservative person, thought it was cool and loaned me the company car if I needed to do company errands.) After I quit this job, a man was interviewed that didn't own a car at all, but biked every where. Even though he was highly qualified, she refused to hire him because he didn't own a car.

Of course, like a good liberal, she was also vigorously in favor of government controlling everyone else's oil/gas usage. Like I said before, liberals aren't into self-imposed inconvenience to support their beliefs. They want the government to inconvenience us all.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a big quivering mass of contradictions!